Father Lacombe Chapel
In 1861, Father Albert Lacombe and his Métis helpers constructed a
log building to serve the new St. Albert Roman Catholic Mission.
simple chapel, Alberta's oldest building, became the centre of the
thriving French speaking Metis settlement of St. Albert. Today the
chapel has been restored to look much as it did in the early 1860s.
Drop in to the chapel and let the historical interpreters take you
back to an earlier time.
Visit the crypt where Father Lacombe and Bishop Grandin are buried.
Take a stroll through the cemetery, the resting place of some of St.
Albert's first residents.
Interpretive guides lead tours through the
chapel and the historic Mission Hill site and demonstrate activities
and skills of the time. Education programs and special events are offered
as well. Tours are available in English or French.
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of Father Lacombe Chapel in 2011, a series of 11 historical vignettes are presented in English and
Last reviewed/revised: September 13, 2012