Where We Came From Youth Art Contest
The Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village invites children to show us any interesting part of their family history in a piece of artwork. We want to showcase the stories of ordinary Albertan families, as understood and presented by the youngest generation. Selected submissions will be displayed at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village in a special exhibition in 2017. Entry deadline has been extended to January 31, 2017. In the summer of 2017, the Village will celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation by highlighting stories and experiences of all Alberta families.
To enter, send your entry to:
Where We Came From Art Contest
Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village
c/o 8820 - 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8
For more information, contact Pamela Trischuk by email or phone at 780-662-3640.
- Open to all residents of Alberta, 18 years of age and younger
- All submissions must be on 11”x17” paper. Any 2D medium is acceptable (crayons, paint, pencils, chalk, collage, etc.)
- Submissions must be post marked or received at the UCHV no later than January 31, 2017
- Only original artwork is eligible The entry form and completed license must be attached to all submissions (taped or paper clipped securely). All entries become the property of the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village. Take a photo or scan your artwork to remember it before you send it in!
NOTE: Entries that do not meet the specifications will not be judged.
Contest CateContest Categories
- Age at time of submission: 7 and younger, 8-9, 10-12, 13-15, 16-18
- Prizes will be awarded to the top submission in each category
- Top submissions from each category will be exhibited. Additional submissions will be selected to be on display for the summer of 2017.
Help us tell the story of how your family got where they are today. You can show us anything related to your family's history, including:
- What makes your family history unique or special?
- Why did your family come to Alberta?
- What were some of the challenges your family faced long ago?
- Is there an interesting or special story someone in your family can tell you about their history?
- What is your family proud of?
- Where did your family live before they came to Canada?
- How did they get here?
- What did they look like when they got here?
- What did their first home in Canada look like?
- What kinds of things did they bring with them?
- What kinds of communities did they live in when they got to Canada?
- Teachers submitting their students’ work as a class will be eligible for a draw for a free field trip to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village to see the art exhibit! Details are in the ip to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village to see the art exhibit! Details are in the teacher resource package.
Last reviewed/revised: January 11, 2017