After the war, the need for new generating capacity remained strong. Many expected a collapse, but it failed to materialize. In fact, the economy was booming and demanding ever more power. The post war years, therefore, saw an aggressive building program. By 1947, Calgary Power had completed its Barrier Generating Station on the Kananaskis River about 11 km (7 mi.) upstream from the Bow River. With a head of 43 m (140 ft.) and a capacity of 13,000 kW, the plant had added 12 MW of new capacity. It is reported to have been the first remotely-controlled hydroelectric plant in Alberta and among the first in North America.
To meet the dual purposes of generating hydroelectric energy and increasing the low winter flow of the North Saskatchewan River at Edmonton and downstream, Calgary Power carried out an intensive search for possible storage sites on the North Saskatchewan River and its tributaries. Three new projects were also brought online in quick succession. These were the new Spray Lakes, Three Sisters and Rundle dams with a combined capacity of 65 MW. Most of this new power was coming from the Spray Hydroelectric Dam with its 275 metre drop. In 1954, Calgary Power finished the 17 MW Bearspaw Hydroelectric Dam just west of Calgary and a third generator was installed at the
Ghost Hydroelectric Dam, increasing its output to 51 MW. The next year the company had completed the last dams on the Kananaskis River, the Pocaterra Hydroelectric Dam, a 15 MW facility, and the Interlakes Hydroelectric Dam, a smaller 5 MW dam.
By the end of the 1950s, ideal sites for hydroelectric plants were rapidly diminishing. By this point a cubic metre of water through the Bow River system could generate power eight times before reaching Calgary, as the water would move progressively through a system of various dams and power plants. Without new spots for hydro power, power suppliers began to turn to steam-powered stations for additional expansion.
Despite the increasing amount of power generation focused upon coal and other fuels, hydroelectricity was far from finished in Alberta. The next phase of expansion took place in the 1960s when, under agreement with the provincial government, Calgary Power undertook its largest hydroelectric project. It constructed the Brazeau Hydroelectric Dam and reservoir on the Brazeau River, a tributary of the North Saskatchewan. The dam was completed in 1963 and the first generating unit was installed at the power plant in 1965, adding 355MW of generating capacity to the Calgary Power System.